How to increase Mobile App security
Every one of us has heard about cyber security threats and data breaches. They are becoming common practice now making app’s security a top priority. Mobile app security is foundation of every great mobile app and it’s not something that can be added to the app at a later stage. App makers have to assess the risks posed by cyber security threats and data breaches while building their mobile apps. By implementing the mobile app security measures, they will be able to safeguard both the apps and the data within. These measures are not difficult to implement.
Below, we will be looking at some of the common mobile app security issues and how to overcome those issues in order to increase mobile app security.
- Unintentional Data Breach and leakage: This term refers to the storage of important app data at unsecured locations on the mobile. The ultimate impact of this breach is unauthorized use of this data. This unintended data breach usually happens because of the virus in the operating system or lack of security features added by the app developer.
- Poor Authentication Mechanism: Mobile apps are not always connected with the internet especially in the case when a user is offline; the apps are unable to distinguish between users. In case when the offline authentication is not too strong or weak, hackers can take control of the mobile app which can cause data protection issues.
- Unreliable session handling: This happens when a user has already logged out of the app but the previous session continues in the background. E-Commerce sites allow long sessions in order to speed up the buying process for the customer and to provide buying suggestions. However, if the phone gets stolen then anyone who possesses the phone can manipulated the essential user data.
- Encryption Failures: Though encryption is fairly secure but it still can fail giving an opportunity for hackers to access data by getting encryption keys from insecure locations.
Now the real concern for any user is how to increase the mobile app security. Some of the steps that can help secure it are mentioned below:
- Backend Security: There are a large number of backend APIs which assume that only an app that has been written to access it can interact with it. The reality, though, is a bit different from it. Backend servers need to have various security measures in place in order to safeguard against malicious attacks. Therefore, it is important to ensure that all APIs are verified based on the mobile platform intended to code for, since transport mechanisms and API authentication may differ from platform to platform.
- Preventing Unexpected Data Leak: When a user uses an app, there is an agreement to certain permissions, which allows brands and businesses to obtain crucial personal customer information. By ethically implementing advertising and using secure analytics providers, user can ensure that the data never gets unintentionally leaked to hackers or malicious businesses.
- Getting to know platform’s specific limitations: As an app developer, in case you are developing multiple mobile operating systems, it is better to understand the security features as well as the limitations of the platform, and then code accordingly. Developer should also take into account different user case scenarios, encryption support, password support, and geo-location data support for the OS in order to appropriately control and distribute the app on chosen platforms.
- Minimizing storage of sensitive Data: If possible, a good app developer will always try to find ways through which the confidential user data never gets stored within the device or in your servers. This is mainly due to the fact that unnecessarily storing user data adds to risk levels. In case it is imperative to store data and there is no way around it, then it is advisable to use encrypted data containers or key chains, while using cookies for stored passwords. Also, it is advisable to minimize reliance on logs, and make sure they get automatically deleted after a set interval of time.
- Thorough Quality and Security check before launching: As a last resort for mobile apps, a thorough testing of application against randomly generated security scenarios before eventual deployment is a must. If there are no budget constraints, one can even hire a hacker who could help in identifying security backdoors within an application that was thought to be sound enough. Well known companies such as Google and Microsoft hold Hackathons where hundreds of hackers try to find security issues within their apps for prize money.
In case you are looking for Secure Mobile App Development then you should choose Techiq Solutions. Techiq Solutions has been a prominent and well-respected mobile app development service provider having served a diverse range of clients from startups and SMEs to Fortune 500 companies. The company has developed numerous successful apps for iOS, Android, and Windows, and experienced developers take mobile app security very seriously.
Contact us now and experience the benefits of a highly secure and robust app, which works seamlessly across multiple platforms
Throughout the development phase, our developers take all the necessary steps to mitigate risks, evaluate and remove vulnerabilities, and ensure the mobile app they develop has water-tight security features from the get-go.
“We started from an idea, grew into a purpose, became a goal, and then a reality”
Are you ready to take your business online? We have a dedicated team of developers and access to the latest technological tools to make that transformation as seamless as possible.
We are happy to answer any question you may have and also provide you with an estimate on any software development project for your business.
Fill in the Contact Form beside with your project details and look out for our reply within 24 hours.